3.09.2012

Flashback Friday: Secret Agent Girl

My good friend Julia reminded me about another silly college escapade after my post about setting off the dorm fire alarm. It was the time I tried to go all secret agent for her.
Some friends of Julia's had set her up on a blind date. The guy was from somewhere else (I can't remember), but was going to be passing through Rock Hill on an upcoming afternoon. They talked on the phone...things went well. They decided to meet up at the Waffle House just off interstate and go from there. Being the good friend I was, I concocted a scheme with Julia to get the Waffle House early, sit inside, and be the lookout...you know, just to make sure he wasn't crazy and didn't stuff her in the trunk. All we knew was that he drove a white car. I arrived at the WH at least thirty minutes early. I think it was like 2:30 in the afternoon. I realized once I was there that I needed to probably order something. I wasn't even hungry, but decided that a piece of pecan pie would be as good as anything else (I don't really eat at WH on a regular basis, and certainly not in the middle of the day). I don't even like pecan pie, but felt that I should order something if I was going to sit there and stare out their windows. Unfortunately, there was a white car already parked in the lot. I had a Winthrop sticker on my car. And didn't look the LEAST bit suspicious cruising into WH by myself in the middle of the day. Not at all.
Of course, it was him. Julia came, and they drove off together in his car. At which point, I was free. I had gotten a good glance. He didn't stuff her into her truck or bop her over the head with a blunt object, so that was all good. I felt very secret agent. Too bad it didn't require retrieving a secret code and preventing a bomb detonating...THAT would have been cool.
Fast-forward to about 20 minutes later. I had a class on campus in the music building, so I quickly found a spot, parallel parked and proceeded across the walkway. I saw a white car out of the corner of my eye...but surely not!!! Then I heard a honk. I looked, and lo and behold, there was Julia in the passenger seat with her blind date. I guess they were doing a driving tour of campus. She was waving at me wildly. I was pretending to scrunch up my face to see who it was.'Cause I'm crafty like that. Trying to cover my tracks.
Inside the car...
Julia: "That's my roommate, Shelley."
After a few seconds, the blind date exclaimed, "She was at the WAFFLE HOUSE! (a few seconds passed) She was there to check ME OUT!"
Julia of course acted horrified and was all astonishment.  :) As I would have coached her to be. Good call.
I mean, how in the heck did they happen to drive by just as I was crossing the street?
They didn't go out again.
And I haven't tried to be a secret agent again. Fortunately, I really like Ed, Julia's now-husband, so I'm glad I foiled the date on accident. I wonder if he ever tells anyone about how he got spied on at a Waffle House by some crazy girl...

No comments: