1.05.2012

Dear France, I'm due a visit.

I have a love affair with France. "But Shelley, the people are sooo rude." Says who?
I have never found it to be so. They are nationalistic. Aren't we too, dear star-spangled flag-flyers? And who would really enjoy loud Americans who come over on vacation and speak English VERY LOUDLY as though you are stupid not to know THEIR language? Hmmm?
Mont St. Michel on the northwestern coast.
I've had the opportunity to visit France three times. In college, I was able to complete a 5-week intensive language and history course. We were based mostly in Normandy. It was also the 50th anniversary of the D-Day invasion and French liberation with celebrations all summer. One of the most amazing moments of my life was sitting on a Norman beach on Bastille Day (kind of their fourth of July). There was a huge choir singing all the national anthems of countries who had helped liberate them during the war. It was a magical evening.
The history is fascinating. I'm astonished when I look back at my French history book from college and remember that I could read and understand that years ago! (er. 'cause it was all in French, FYI)
I went back in 2000 with two of my friends. They were a little nervous when they saw my detailed itinerary and guide book I had made. What kind of vacation is this!? It's the kind where you get to see everything there is to see! By the end, I made believers out of them...they were excited that we fit so much in and that they knew what they were looking at.  :) Old buildings without context are just old buildings, after all. It was soo cold on that trip, but what a blast we had...our cobblestone route to the hotel in the Latin Quarter had a great creperie on the way. Ah. Crepes.
The last time I went was with Jerod on our honeymoon. We delayed our honeymoon until April so we could enjoy slightly warmer weather and not be so tired from the wedding festivities. We started our trip to Paris with my favorite "welcome to Paris" event...a ride down the Seine River on a bateau mouche. You get to see the city from the water and see all the major landmarks. One day, we just roamed the Latin Quarter and sat outside Notre Dame among the tulips and warm spring breeze.
I have seen Normandy, Mont St. Michel, the Loire Valley, Burgundy Region, the Mediterranean Coast at Montpellier and the Auvergne foothills. I have found the people to be lovely and helpful. The history and countryside, stunning. I have never felt safer in a large city than in Paris.
Interestingly, my sister-in-law did a detailed geneology for our family a few years ago. She found lots and lots of French ancestors. We had thought we were more Scottish/English. I think my blood knows there's lots of French in it. Wonder if I could get us all to France on $1000? I'm due for a visit.

1 comment:

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

If you can get everyone in your household to Paris under $1,000 we're there. Totally.