1.23.2012

Shiny week and half-brain syndrome

Alright, now that I've officially announced my no-new-clothes resolution (I started to type no-clothes resolution, and realized that's an ENTIRELY different affair!)...I could say I'm on week three. I haven't bought anything but "unmentionables" and some socks for Jerod so far in 2012. It is SHINY week. I started yesterday by sporting a shiny orange top, and have continued today with a shiny gold/leopard top with a black sweater. (maybe there will be pictures. no promises)
I'm hopeful I can make it all the way through the week with something shiny each day.
In other news, I have realized that I am suffering from half-brain syndrome. Do not race over to WebMD. It is not an actual disease. Except to those of you who suffer from it.
I find that now that I have a running, climbing, curious toddler, I cannot have a conversation with adults when he's in the room. I try valiantly. But most of my brain is in mommy-mode, making sure that he's not dangling from the back of the recliner by one hand. Adult conversation has become nearly impossible with anyone other than Husband, who is also suffering from half-brain syndrome. So, between the two of us, we have one whole brain and can make some gibberish into what passes for conversation. But at least he understands when I give the look that says, "can this wait until after bedtime?" Because half-brain syndrome also comes with temporary aphasia.

According to the mayo clinic online, a person with aphasia may:
  • Speak in short or incomplete sentences
  • Speak in sentences that don't make sense
  • Speak unrecognizable words
  • Not comprehend other people's conversation
  • Interpret figurative language literally
  • Begin to make spelling errors
  • Write sentences that don't make sense
They may as well have listed, "people with small children may..."
So, bear with us. When the little man is around, we are operating on instinct to keep our offspring intact. He is thus far fairly fearless and more curious about everything with a button, plug, or climbing ledge than I ever thought possible.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh my gosh, I think I may have "Quarter Brain Syndrome". Mostly due to the fact that when I am talking to adults, and watching my monkeys, I have to speak a different language! It's killing me!!!!!!

Sara Cola said...

HA! I totally agree. I can't tell you how many times I walk away from a conversation and think. "Oh no, did I ever answer that question? or finish that thought?" I have literally called people hours after leaving and apologized for being so distracted. Drives me crazy that I can't stop it.