2.21.2012

Who is King of your kingdom?

Sometimes you just have to write it out. A missive to your own soul. Reminders of the meaning of life. You know?

I am a follower of Christ, a Christian, a believer...there are a lot of terms out there. And yes, so many of them have negative connotations in today's society.It saddens me that the term "Christian" has been sullied, and then I realize that I am probably to blame as well. I want to carry His name well. If a person REALLY reads the Bible and thinks through it, it's something that you would WANT to be true.
It's a kingdom upside-down, and by that I mean that meek people are blessed, poor people are taken care of, the last are first, servants (not slaves) win, sons AND DAUGHTERS prophesy, and there is room for both victims AND perpetrators. The hopeless have hope for healing and living in power that can break the cycle of sin.
It is a kingdom for liars, dreamers, and misifts. That is my church's tagline: "A church for liars, dreamers and misfits." For a long while, I had trouble with the liars part. Dreamer and a misfit...sure. And certainly, as a kid, I would definitely smack out a lie when the question was, "Shelley, do you know who made mud pies in the carport and dirtied all your clean clothes?" I'm not proud of it, but I was a schemer. But now, now I like to think I'm reformed. Shaped by grace. My mind is completely renewed, and I never ever lie. Right?
Hmm. Any time I try to pass myself off as smarter, cooler, or anything other than a child of God in need of His grace, I am a liar. Anytime I stand in judgment of my brother or sister or surmise things about their lives, I am living in deception. I make up my own version of their life and my own idea of the condition of their heart.
All of that to say...the kingdom of God is constantly trying to break in to our worldly kingdoms.Jesus himself said that the kingdom of God is AT HAND. It's not just that "one day" when Jesus comes down to earth for some final smackdown. It's HERE. Or else Jesus wouldn't have said "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on EARTH as it is in Heaven." We wouldn't need to PRAY for that regularly in the one prayer Jesus gave us if it was only an end-times eventuality.
Believers bring the kingdom of God to earth. When we are kind, compassionate, giving, meek, full of grace and mercy, loving. That's what will attract others to follow Christ. Christ is the only savior. No politician is capable of saving souls...or even the economy.
We've done a great job of setting up lots of kingdoms to bow down to. Entertainment, family, money, self, work, substances...the list goes on and on. While some of those things might not be bad in and of themselves, when they are what we bow down to and "worship," they usurp the power of Christ in our lives. When we say that JESUS IS LORD, we say that nothing else in our lives is stronger than the power of Christ. Nothing else is Lord. If you and I could only grasp that and live it fully, the world would change in a generation.
I am looking for ways to redefine my self-made kingdom of stress and comparisons. This song has really been speaking to me for a while. It declares that God reigns. He knows all and is Lord over all.


God I look to You; I won't be overwhelmed
Give me vision to see things like You do
God I look to You; You're where my help comes from
Give me wisdom. You know just what to do

And I will love you, Lord my strength
And I will love you, Lord my shield
And I will love you, Lord my rock
Forever, all my days. I will love you, God

Hallelujah, our God reigns...

by Jenn Johnson

{over everything!!!} Join the revolution. Jesus is Lord over all. No other kingdom will have dominion over me, my time, my thoughts, my family. Hallelujah our God reigns!

No comments: